Introduction/ Departing JFK and arriving at Manchester International Airport

 Hello, my fellow readers,


    First and foremost, My name is Adriana Quinones. I am a transfer student in my senior year of Susquehanna University with one more semester added, for good luck of course. I have a major in Theatre Performance and a minor in Spanish. For my GO program, I will be studying at Liverpool Hope University, Liverpool, England for the Fall semester of 2022. The reason I will be studying abroad for a full semester at Liverpool Hope University is that I have done some research about its theatre department and I was blown away by what they had to offer to their international students. They have classes, not only about theatre but about film and that is the path that I want to take in my acting career. They are also friendly and want their students to become more independent with their studies. It is a different learning skill in the United Kingdom but it shows how resourceful their students are and I would like to be that resourceful by knowing a topic right away. 

    Now, my goal for this trip is that I would like to know more about the culture and how my major is making an impact in the UK. I would like to see the benefits of a person who is interested in theatre and how far one would go in their career. Also, I want to see how theatre is taught differently at Liverpool Hope University. Will I learn a new subject or would it be the same from Susquehanna University; with the same concept? On a more personal level, I would like to find myself more independent and sure of myself. I am extremely close with my family but I would like to be able to make choices for myself without having to ask "is this okay". This means when I make a choice I would be more confident with myself knowing that I did the right thing. Also, I want to be okay with being alone, not in the sense that I do not have anybody, but in the sense that I can be able to walk to places and explore the city without needing someone to come with me. There are many things to learn, not only academically but personally as well.

Getting Ready to go to John F. Kennedy International Airport, NYC.

    Waking up on the 23rd of September had been a calming sensation with some nerves. I wasn't thinking about what was going to happen when I arrive or if people would like me. I wasn't thinking about the future. I was thinking more about the now; at this moment. I was excited to take on this marvelous journey of finding myself, learning about my career, and how to be okay with being alone, and far away from my family. I have never been out of the country before, so this is new to me, but I am excited about what this new chapter of my life has to offer and what I can get out of this so that I can give my sisters an example of life's upbringings. Now, with all of this in mind, I was on my way to New York City to be with my uncle until it was time to go to John F. Kennedy International Airport. I have to say that staying at my uncle's house have been the best moment of my life because it was a bittersweet goodbye and with a very full stomach of what could possibly be the last Hispanic meal from my family until my return.


Rice and beans with chuleta (pork chops) and tostones (fried plantain)

     It was a moment of laughter and as I was heading to JFK, I did not feel the reason to be sad because my family was proud of me for taking this opportunity Susquehanna University had to offer. Also, the sacrifices I had to make to make sure I was able to be in this program were worth the many tears I cried to be able to finish my year in a well-standing position.


    Arriving at JFK had been hectic but I made it right on time. Encountering traffic that lasted 20 to almost 30 minutes had me worrying that I would not make it on time to the airport. All in all, I have succeeded with my mother, grandmother, and little sister. Once I got my ticket it was time for me to go through security by myself and say goodbye to my family. It wasn't a tearful goodbye, but a proud moment of me taking this new step in my life. When I hugged my mother I was shaking with excitement because I couldn't believe that this was happening. I was really going to study in Liverpool, England. I was going to be the first family member to be in a different country studying to have a better and secure future. This was going to be the best thing that ever happen to me.    
JFK

   Waiting by the gate to be able to board the plane I found my friend, Alexis, who is in the same program as me, and a couple of days ago we actually found out we were boarding the same plane together and she would be sitting in the front seat to my right. We did not plan this and it was amazing to know that I had someone I knew on the plane.

 
Gotta take a picture.

    Getting into the plane I saw what First Class was like and I have never been so jealous because the people in First Class were going to sleep more comfortably than me. 6 hours and 20 minutes were not going to be good but I made it comfortable as much as possible.                                     

 
My view of the Plane.

Arriving at Manchester International Airport had been easy and it was fast-paced. We arrived the next day and the first thing I did was brush my teeth because I was not going to say hello with a stinky breath ;)

 
Clean Teeth, Fresh Breath :)


    Liverpool Hope University sent out a driver to pick me up along with other international students. Once we got settled in our seats it was time to see what England looked like. All I could think of and be amazed by was how much green I see. There was so much more natural than building and it was breathtaking. Once we start to get into the city of Liverpool I saw houses that were big and wide. The building was mostly close to each other but it was more like townhouses and it was something that I don't see often.

                                                                    

 
Beautiful Scenery
     

                                                    

 
Appreciating the Green

                                                   

 
Townhouses

They welcomed us with open arms and gave us a tour of our accommodations and told us everything we needed to know about the key code and the local stores to get stuff that we didn't need to buy because there were stores that were offering the same equipment. It was a nice welcome party and once I settled down I was able to get to know other international students.
                                                                

 
Accommodations

Overall, my fellow readers, It was a long journey but an exciting beginning. I can not wait for the following day which would be a tour around the city by foot and by bus. 

    Hope you will join me for my next post :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A More Personal Post and a London Day Trip

Reflection Week

Studying Abroad